The Blackpool Careers Journey is an offer of support for children and young people to help realise their aspirations and prepare for work. The offer starts in primary school and provides meaningful encounters with employers at every step in their educational journey.
The Blackpool Careers Journey offer covers :
- Every year, every student will experience at least one meaningful employer encounter.
- A digital careers platform, Start Blackpool, will support each pupil’s individual career journey.
- Support for young people to use Start Blackpool will be piloted and evaluated. Support that works will be rolled out across all schools and colleges
- Targeted support for young people who are Not in Education, Employment and Training (NEET) when they leave school or at risk of becoming NEET will be provided which will be evaluated and continually improved.
School and Colleges
Support will be provided to achieve the Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Careers Guidance ensuring all young people have a high quality careers experience.
The Blackpool Careers Journey will provide a platform for employers to become involved in preparing the future workforce. There are a number of ways employers can support young people which meets their needs:
- Three Minute Hero – Everyone has a story to tell, so tell yours to help inspire the next generation. Be a hero!
- Profile your business for free on Start in Blackpool
- List your opportunities for students, schools and colleges
Improving opportunity through education
The Blackpool Opportunity Area was launched by the government to raise education standards locally, providing every child and young person in the area with the chance to reach their full potential in life.
The programme includes three priority focused areas, including raising attainment in Blackpool’s schools, supporting vulnerable children to stay in mainstream education, and improving advice, support and aspiration for young people when considering career paths, moving into work or further education.